Thursday, October 1, 2009

Market Research

I love my local Rite Aid. Besides their delightful shelf combinations, the scowling man near the entrance who is either an ineffective security guard or an unfriendly store greeter, and their propensity to stock onesies that read "Somebody in Queens Loves Me!", their staff is always looking for ways to improve my shopping experience. And I appreciate that.

Someone at the store has clearly been taking a correspondence class in the benefits of cross-selling. However, I don't think they've reached that point in the pamphlet that mentions how to employ this useful marketing strategy in a subtle and appealing way. For example:

Target demographic: Mothers who never read "What to Expect the First Year" and don't know they can't feed their newborns Gatorade and pizza.

Public service?

Maybe.

However, I quickly realized that this was not isolated when I spotted the following:

If you can't figure out that you need ice in order cool down that sparkling glass of lemon lime Big Fizz (preferred by those who feel Sprite is a luxury), then you don't deserve to be told. Warm drinks for you!

Needless to say, I felt my shopping trip was a success. I went for a bottle of detergent, but left with a smile. I want to hug everyone who works at the Rite Aid. Best store in Queens!

No comments:

Post a Comment