Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Cobbler's Children

When I was a kid, my brother and I always complained that my mom would make desserts for everyone but us. She brought them to parties and work events, and even sold them. People loved her desserts. They were delicious! Well, from what I heard, anyway.

As we got older, she got the hint and started making an extra portion for her family. So if she made a large cheesecake, she'd make a mini cake for us, too. Genius! And it stopped us from complaining, which was probably her true goal.

Now I have something to sell – handmade greeting cards. I design invitations and cards for all kinds of events. I get to work with people to create cards that bring their vision to life. It started off as a hobby, and now it’s a freelance hobby that brings in a little pocket cash on the side. Most importantly, I get to have fun and be creative.

A Nancy original.

I developed my skills by making cards for my family and friends. But now that I’m periodically doing bigger orders (I just finished 60 baby shower invitations), I don’t have as much time for one-offs for my favorite people. So they sometimes ask me (jokingly, I think) why I’ve given them a store-bought card. I’m glad that they look forward to getting something I made. But from conception to production, an original design can take days. It’s a process that I enjoy…but it doesn’t allow me to churn out cards every day.

And boy do I feel guilty about that! I actually called my mother last week and said, “Listen, for Mother’s Day…I’m not making you a card. Ok?” And she didn’t care. But I did. If you can’t use your creativity for the people you love, what’s the point?

Wait – I hear the call of the glitter, glue dots and paper trimmer. They are telling me it’s time to bust out a new card.

No comments:

Post a Comment