Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Four Score and 100 CCs Ago

Another month, another treatment.

Sigh.

Don’t get me wrong. I am grateful that my ITP is in remission (or, in solidarity with our economy, it’s in recession), but my CVID is not going anywhere, so I continue to get my IVIG infusions every 30 days.

I just started getting them from my immunologist again, now that my hematologist has released me back into the wild. At my first infusion following the conclusion of my recent platelet craziness, I was given Benadryl and…well, that’s it. I had been getting both Benadryl and a dosage of steroids as pre-meds. Now, I always get headaches and fatigue following infusions, but this last time was different. I thought I had the flu. I was cold, I was hot, I was nauseated, I thought my head was going to explode. In a word: unpleasant.

I called the infusion center and told them I wanted to go back to my old pre-medication combo. They agreed, thank goodness, and on Friday I’ll go in and hopefully come out with some headaches and the urge to crawl into bed, and nothing more.

So, in honor of Limerick Day, which ends at midnight tonight, I wrote this to explain my current state of mind:

There once was a lady from Edison,
Who dreaded taking her medicine.

She hid in her bed,

But eventually said,

"Will taking it make me feel better soon?"

No comments:

Post a Comment