Thursday, March 5, 2009

[My] Blood is Thicker than Water...Finally

A film was released recently that, as someone with a hematological disorder who also happened to be born on February 14th, I immediately recognized as my own personal biopic:

I haven't seen it, because I have a feeling that the storyline in my head is probably superior to the horror flick that they concocted. Does their movie have Paul Rudd as the valiant hematologist who saves my life and introduces me to my future husband, also played by Paul Rudd (as a totally separate character, because marrying your doctor is unethical)?

In any case, my real life hematologist -- unfortunately not Paul Rudd -- suggested a pretty serious treatment for my platelet disorder. I had four infusions over four weeks, and was told that I would know if it worked by early March.

And now I know...it worked!

I am so relieved and thrilled. And yet I feel a little unsettled. Like I don’t trust it. Because it has been a long year in which we’ve tried different treatments and my count has rarely been stable for more than a week or two. So even though my number is the highest it’s been since I was diagnosed, I think it will be a few months before I believe that this is a long-term solution.

At this time last year I had a platelet count of 4,000 and was flirting with the possibility that my next paper cut would send me to the hospital. Now, I am at an extraordinary 330,000 – chock full o’platelets, one might say – and I couldn’t be any happier.

In fact, you could punch me and cut me and I’d be just fine!

Please don’t, though.

2 comments:

  1. Last year your platelet count was down to 3,000. Glad you are moving up in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are glad to hear that you are on the mend and are looking forward to your next visit to Korea.

    ReplyDelete