Thursday, March 12, 2009

À votre santé

Today was grim. Without going into too many details, my coworkers and I had a difficult day.

I kept hearing people say, “At least I have my health.”

I thought, thank goodness that’s true for me…today. My hematologist confirmed on Wednesday that my treatment worked, and that I could start seeing him annually after one more check-up in July. This means I’ll go back to monthly immunoglobulin treatments for my immune system disorder. I’m so relieved!

If I lost my job – and you never know, with the way things are looking – I would worry about money, just like everyone else. But I have to admit that right on the top of my list of concerns would be my health. Because I have learned that it’s precarious. I was unemployed once before and couldn’t afford both COBRA and my rent. So I decided to keep the roof over my head and look both ways a few times before crossing the street. If I’m out of work again I won’t have that choice. I’ll need health insurance to guarantee I have access to a lifesaving treatment that I can never stop taking.

However, at least my job isn’t making me sick. Somewhat related to my last post is a great interview by Dick Gordon on American Public Media’s The Story. He spoke with Carol Espen, a former aerobics instructor:

Back in the 1980's, an aerobics craze swept the country… Carol was in New York trying to make a living as an actress, but teaching dance classes on the side. Soon she was teaching aerobics, doing close to 23 classes a week. It didn't take long before Carol's feet started to hurt, and then her hips, but she kept on going because by then teaching aerobics was her career. It took her four years to admit she was in such pain she needed to see a doctor. At 44, she had her first hip replacement, then several years later, the other one. Many doctors today recommend low impact exercises. Carol joins many other victims of the aerobics craze who are now suffering for their enthusiasm.

As stressed as I get at my job, it will never precipitate my needing hip replacement surgery in my early 40s.

So that’s one thing to be happy about.

No comments:

Post a Comment