Monday, February 9, 2009

Tiny Bubbles

I’m thinking of starting a new organization called “Pedicures for Peace.” Because it’s impossible to contemplate anything unpleasant when someone is massaging your calves with an aromatic espresso scrub.

This is what I was looking at during my pedicure yesterday:

That’s right – there’s backlighting (toe-lighting?) in the water, and it periodically changes color. Nothing says, “I couldn’t be any more pampered” than a gratuitous purple glow around your toes. It actually reminds me of the waves of color that wash over the Time Warner Center in Columbus Circle:

Pedicures are one of my favorite activities, and with everything going on, they are a not-too-expensive way to lift my spirits. (Plus, I’m going to Florida in a couple weeks, and I’ll be wearing sandals.) During stressful times – like weekly infusions – I’m consciously scheduling things that make me feel better.

When I’m sitting in that chair, feeling the bubbles rush through my toes, I can’t help but think about a pedicure I got in mid-January of 2008. It was the weekend after my mother had spotted the large bruise above my knee. When I rolled up my pants legs after sliding onto the pedicure chair, the technician sitting on the stool in front of me saw it and gasped, and then said, “Oh! Does that hurt?” I assured her that it didn’t, although she looked skeptical.

That’s the thing about a platelet disorder – bruises pop up as a result of internal bleeding, not because you bump into something. So they can be deep purple and very large but not particularly painful. However, on that day I didn’t know anything was wrong. I was starting to suspect something, but I was persistently ignoring the little seed of concern that had taken root in my mind.

But I look back and know I was lucky that day. When your platelet count is extremely low, the last thing you want is someone hitting you. That’s potentially a very, very bad idea. However, part of the pedicure process is a massage that culminates in an open-fist slapping against the calves.

Even though my platelets are on the low side, they’re not in the same danger zone I was then. Still, every time we reach that part of the massage I ask them to skip it.

Oh, and in case you’re wondering, I went with Sea Breeze by Essie. It’s my favorite shade of pink!

No comments:

Post a Comment