Thursday, February 5, 2009

TAXI!

Last night I dreamed that I had to go to a doctor’s appointment. I arrived at the office and before I entered, I realized that I had gone to the wrong doctor. The rest of the dream involved running around Manhattan to every different doctor I’ve ever had, figuring out I was supposed to see a different doctor, and frantically hailing cabs to go to what I thought was the right office. I never made it to the appointment, although I did find a taxi that had carpeted seats and a smoothie bar.

(Of course, this turned the whole nightmare into a fantasy, because I absolutely adore smoothies.)

I’ve had seven infusions since the end of November, when my platelets started taking a nosedive. Between the infusions and the weekly lab work it always feels like I either just came from the doctor or I’m getting ready to go back. Thankfully, I seem to be responding well to my new medication, so after my fourth (and final) dose tomorrow, I might have a respite before I go back to IVIG infusions on a monthly basis.

I was supposed to schedule a check-up with my primary care physician for mid-January, but that came and went without happening.

I cancelled an appointment with a dermatologist in December.

I think I really need to see a gastroenterologist, but I conveniently keep forgetting to ask for a referral.

And I mentioned to a coworker that I really want to go to an ophthalmologist to get fitted for contacts, and she asked why I hadn’t gone yet. I told her that with all these appointments, it was hard to schedule it. She was like, But it’s not like you couldn’t schedule it for next month, after all this is over. And she was right.

But the truth is, I don’t even want to think about another doctor right now.

Smoothies, on the other hand…

No comments:

Post a Comment