Saturday, February 7, 2009

Pretty in Pink

I had my final Rituxan infusion on Friday. I showed up at 8:30 a.m., which is a full hour earlier than I need to be at work. Considering I still go to work afterwards, it makes for a long day.

First, we take blood so they can run my platelet count. I am the world’s worst candidate for a hematological disorder – I have one vein, and it travels on a daily basis. Sometimes you can find it in my hand, sometimes it’s in my wrist. It doesn’t like my arms, however, so it’s been years since anyone has tried to take blood from anywhere but my hands.

Fact: The Red Cross once sent me home after I went to donate blood because they couldn’t find a vein.

It took three tries on Friday, and multiple jabs and pokes and ins-and-outs, before we located a “juicy” (their words, not mine) vein.

After we got the IV line set up, they gave me my pre-meds – Benadryl and Tylenol – in a very special cup. Nothing but the best for me:

And then I have about three hours while I wait for the infusion to drip, drip, drip its way into my system. I usually kill time by fielding calls from my parents to see if I’ve settled in, inflating my travel neck pillow, reading books and scanning the internet on my iPhone, and munching breakfast.

This lasts for about 8 minutes, until the Benadryl kicks in.

I spend the next two hours and fifty-two minutes drifting in and out of a nap, waking up every half hour when the nurses take my vitals.

I usually go with a bandage square and tape after we take the IV out. But this time I demanded something special for all my pain and suffering:

That’s right – a Hello Kitty Band-Aid. There are advantages to having a doctor in the pediatric hematology department. Who cares if the kids get their fun Band-Aids? I want one too!

On the bright side, no more Rituxan.

Unfortunately, my platelet levels are still hovering way below normal, so while we’re waiting for the Ritxuan to kick in, I was told to come back next week for an IVIG infusion. Sigh

I think I’m going to demand another Hello Kitty Band-Aid.

1 comment:

  1. Nancy -" Juicy" and "in and out" should only be used in the same sentence for one thing ... and that is not it. lol Hope the rest of your weekend went well. See you Monday, if I don't drink myself away!

    ReplyDelete